Tandra
In the background R. Kelly is singing "come on and braid my hair" (I wish-R kelly) and I wonder how someone slips lines such as these into serious sounding songs.

I'm guessing our equivalent would be "come we play omweso" (I have not worked out how it would fit in that particular melody, but I am working on it!!))

I'm guessing also that the braiding hair thing was used because of the "cultural significance" it holds. I can only conclude (after zillions of hours spent consuming American inspired television) that this process of "braiding hair" (read plaiting biswahilli) is actually cool.

I beg to differ. From personal experience, I know it is not a fun bonding moment. Its painful and for a few days, your head looks really creepy. In addition, if your head happens to be Anti biswahilli (read not perfectly shaped), your hair dresser (hair designer expert person) will mess you up with their own design of grandeur that leaves you looking less than pristine.

It is times like those when repeatedly saying things like "since i do not have to see myself, its other people who suffer" become your mantra, a little chant you say before you leave your house.

But back to my "Omweso" (its an ancient mancala game played in Uganda. find out more here). I'm thinking maybe it will not sell as much because it is not measuring up to the required "hair braiding thing". What would our equivalent then be?

I keep listening to Ugandans sing about growing up in the ghetto and the projects. I smile to myself because it is at moments like that that I realise that i am not in touch with my hoodies! (no, not the jumper/sweater concoctions-i think hoodies is a variation of homies which came from home boy's which i think came from kids off the block :-) ))

Please note: key word "think". I'm sorry, i cannot be bothered to google origins at the moment.

So anyhu, i do not get why we all want to add such lingo to our songs. It sells in the States and where ever because they are talking about their lives.

Here you have people talking about "keeping it real, and growing up in the ghetto's and runnin game with'em gangs and me mumz hangin at the corner praying i'd make it back each day.. gang violence and drive by's being all they iz" most of these "real artists" prolly never even done these things.

There are those who LOOK like they might have, I wont name names but they usually spot dreadlocks, heavy ganja inspired motifs, weird dem accents, grovel sounding voices and spot a "na byn na jamaica, ba i spik dem ire, jah bless" attitude.

what about being original? But wait, will that actually sell my music here? Every wanna be wants to go to the US of A by association through my song. SO i gots to rock the dollar bills side of the scope, sucks like a problem but hey...

we are in music for the money, not to change the world with the words of wisdom we pass on, right?
10 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    lol... the equivalent of the hair braiding thing? some peeps be high when they are writing these lyrics

    so when do we get to listen to the actual song you are writing?

    or at least glimpse at the lyrics? am sure they will be very interesting...


  2. Cheri Says:

    Akiyamungu, when I saw this first there was no comment at all...where did sybella come from. Yikes!!!!

    Hi Tandra.


  3. Anonymous Says:

    hmm..songwriter huh? did you get your hair did?


  4. Anonymous Says:

    hahahahah call them coconuts with all that wiired dem accent


  5. Anonymous Says:

    song writing? am more of a listener...
    yes, originality has gone to the dogs(even this phrase is not original), people just do one hit wonders...music that fizzles out...nothing timeless


  6. Princess Says:

    I've just done 'biswahili' on my head. I'm not entirely sure what those raised eyebrows I'm getting mean...


  7. Anonymous Says:

    LOL @ "since i do not have to see myself, its other people who suffer"

    That one is original, and it is funny.


  8. Anonymous Says:

    oh dear! where did she go?

    POST ALREADY!!

    :-)


  9. KK Says:

    LOL! Nah, we be changing the world with the dollars we make. It's a chicken coming before the egg thing... or was it egg before the chicken? Wateva


  10. Carlo Says:

    Munange these 'ghetto' rappers have rich fathers and grew up in some nice fenced-off double storied house. I know cuz I know some of their parentage and Bugolobi or Kololo are nothing like ghettos!