Tandra
I went as if assignment hunting for a few days ago and it is such journeys that convince me that i would not make a good personal banker.

For those of you who do not know about personal bankers, they are those bankers that deal with you individually (im guessing their title sort of explained it before i did :-) )

im told its a posh job, i would not know, i havent ever been one let alone worked in a bank. All i know about banks is, they are apparently that place your money stays and gets deducted without you intending for it to happen.

Yes, i know i sound like i never go to the bank... no scratch that.. like i know the inner workings of banks. No, im merely a long suffering on-again-off-again client (more off than on) because really, i dont have money to put in the bank and the way i see it, my few binusu (coins) will not go very far in the investment chain thingy banks have going on.

i have had this debate with myself a number of times, this debate about signing up so i can finally use an ATM and see what millions of Ugandans line up each day to have access to and ofcourse be a benefitiary of those white envelopes banks seem to have in boundless supply. Another incentive has been the whole clean bank notes thing but from discrete inquiries i find that banks do not neccesarily give you clean notes and about the only trust worthy bank (in this regard) is Bank of Uganda (BOU). I hear you can walk into that bank and ask for some money. i stress i HEAR, i do not know this for fact.

I can shamelessly say im one of those people who will follow groups of people just to find out where they are going, it does not matter that the said group might be going in the opposite direction, as long as i have the time, i might be convinced to go along to figure out what these upstanding citizens are on about. Language is never a problem mind, i figure my brain can sort out everything basing on gestures and what not.

So yes, i would probably join the bank so i can finally hold and admire the pink atm card (diva card- standard chatered bank) or the purple one (prestige, Barclays)... the other blue normal ones are so done. I am curious about a centenary bank card, though, if their coprate colours are any indication of the design of the card, im would gladly sign up to become a member of this bank (failed to get an image, the colors are a mix of oranges and purple).

However, my main problem remains, i do not have the money and after my sister , who ironically works in a bank, encouraged me not to use a bank, i have taken to personal banking.

I borrow the word "banking" with great respect. My method is effective and saves money.

WHen i make transactions, i do not pay anything in handling fees and i do not have to worry about exchange rates and transfer fees and atm machines retriving cards at will and what not. I do not need to que and look on jelously as people go and have cozy conversations with bank managers because they are prestige clients or have more money than me, thats the bottom line, isnt it?

I do not have to worry about cashiers or security personell who look me up and down and dismiss me because of the questionable state of my jeans and shoes (its hard out here in muddy err. dusty kla, namwe!). I do not have to worry about endless account numbers and having ink splattered across my palm as i try to find one pen that works so i can fill in my information. I do not have to worry about lowering my voice to ask for a pen when my industrious "fix pen" franchise in the banking hall fails to produce atleast one pen that works and have the lady i ask assure me in the relatively quiet banking hall.

I think this works well. when i need to pay someone (yes, even us with coins have to pay bills at some point) i walk into persons bank and pay direct. EFFECTIVE.

The only for seeable challenge is when i recieve a cheque (which has only happened about 6 times in my life) so i suspect as this is clearly not a regular occurance, im sorted. I think i can afford to open an account then, for that special reason, i will urge whoever is paying me to up the payment by like a 10k so i can afford to open the account on which i will bank the cheque... yes, i think that will work nicely.
14 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    she's now talking about money... is there something you would like to tell us tandra?


  2. Anonymous Says:

    and that up there is being numero uno... bite the dust!


  3. Duksey Says:

    Eh!you must really trust yourself and your spending habits.I envy you


  4. DeTamble Says:

    Me has an ATM card! :D It's dark blue and silver and shiny and sparkly! And it's a Visa :D


  5. Anonymous Says:

    why do peeps in banks keep quiet? i usually talk louldy and boisterously since i see no "be quiet" signs posted.


  6. DeTamble Says:

    Oh 31337, I want to go to a bank with you, that'd be funny. You say something funny, I start laughing and the bank people glare at us from behind their desks which just makes me laugh harder until we have to leave because I'm almost crying! And cause you're being too loud! Maybe we could take Rev along, he's rather like a screaming kid, we could get him started on a passionate rant, that'd get us thrown out!


  7. Anonymous Says:

    oh yea, get him started on bank charges. that is sure to get a long round rant, and no they cannot throw us out can they? they can only glare.


  8. Anonymous Says:

    Tsk, loud TSK. You need to start making friends with your banker. For real.

    Anyone who knows my bank balance is a real threat to me. I'll buy them lunch, flirt with them at the counter, send them semi-intimate text messages on major holidays --- anything.


  9. Anonymous Says:

    Eh mama, I'm jealous. You guys use banks? and visa cards?

    Some of us use a coin box. Things be that tight.


  10. Anonymous Says:

    My bank, some specific shirt pocket somewhere in the house, is cool. No queing, no hidden charges, and is reliable 24/7.


  11. Anonymous Says:

    loud and brash, they work for ME, for a few seconds but, after the standing orders have struggled to their feet, my account almost always is overdrawn. cant fall off the floor now can i?


  12. Anonymous Says:

    ATMs not anymore but Banks cheat us i just wish i could keep my money under my pillow


  13. lulu Says:

    eeeeh mama, me i have only gotten a cheque once! in my life!i totlally agree with duskey...if i had a million on me in my bag, it would be done in two days!


  14. the antipop Says:

    myth: banks do not issue new notes. the other day i got a note from my bank that even a begar would reject. well, not that i tried to give it or anything....

    i kept all of my last months salary in a flower vase in my room. i swear that floor vase had holes. there aint no money in there no more. i am going back to the bank