Tandra
I dont like that word and i think its because i think it is such a cliched word it does not bear reckoning.

Just hearing the word irritates the living daylights out of me. It makes me want to reach out with my somewhat crooked nails and scratch myself with such zeal to reveal the magnificence with which my blood flows.

Let us define this word:
1. A subject or plan upon which one is constantly setting off; a favorite and ever-recurring theme of discourse, thought, or effort; that which occupies one's attention unduly, or to the weariness of others; a ruling passion.

2. Spare time recreational pursuit.

3. A pursuit outside of one’s main occupation.

So im guessing everytime they ask a Ugandan what their hobbies are and they say "making friends", this technically is true.

But i would like to argue that technically, none of us has hobby's. Hear me out.

You say you like to read, you say you enjoy reading. Technically since you were taught to read from a young age, you are conditioned to read so there really isnt a serious justification for you going on about how you love to read.

You say you love movies, they are your life! Technically, since you have eyes, you are always looking for things to look at.. movies provide this. They are in effect "just there"

You say you like to talk/gossip/chat.. technically, these just be part of your social skills, skills that you pick up on when you are introduced to society so even this can be something you learnt, not something you neccesarily enjoy doing.

Im just saying, does this thing called hobby really exist? Or are you somewhat conforming to some idea someone created to make you sociable? or make that make you believe you were sociable enough to "fit in".
9 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    I'd never have been Freud's student but I think you do have a point here.


  2. Anonymous Says:

    oh wow! *rubs hands together* let me collect my thoughts and come bash this to smithereens too early in the morning to think.


  3. DeTamble Says:

    ...I like to collect foreign coins and write on bank notes.

    Good luck 31337!


  4. Well, I believe I have hobbies. These are things I do unprofessionally, and untrained, and for free, that other people do professionally and trained and for money.

    I don't agree with any hard-and-fast definition for a word as old and broad as "hobby", since, for example, golf can be a hobby.

    My hobbies move from things as weird as linguistics and art (I draw, sometimes I paint, sometimes I take pictures) to things that aren't meant to appear here. :o)


  5. Anonymous Says:

    Well Well Tandra
    Why does this sound like a rant?
    Oops, i forgot Tandra-licious not just Tandra!
    Chuckles...

    I collect newspaper articles...
    That is my hobby!


  6. Anonymous Says:

    banange what's with the definitions... recently discovered the dictionary?!


  7. DeTamble Says:

    @Sybella: Haha good one! That's what i was thinking.


  8. Tandra Says:

    syb.. just helping u out, nawe okimanyi!


  9. Carlo Says:

    You don't seem to have read your own definitions. If I like to swim and am 'constantly setting off' to go swim, or consider it my 'spare time recreational pursuit', and yet I'm not a professional swimmer, isn't that a hobby? You can't say we don't have hobbies. Even if it's reading. I had to be taught to read in order to read. But no one forces me to 'occupy my mind' with reading all the time. No one taught me to do that.

    P.S. I'd like to see someone who 'pursues' making friends and even makes it a 'ruling passion'.